VGInterface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   VGInterface > General Discussion > Interface Help

Old 10-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Default Installing UI Help

Hey, so I'm having problems installing any mod.

Running Windows 7 64 bit

I've followed the instructions too the letter, I've disabled UAC. vgclient.exe is running as an administrator and in compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 2.

I'm guessing my issue is somewhere along the lines of having a 64bit system.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

you need administrator rites to the entire vanguard folder as well. What kind of problems are you getting so we can better help you find the problem.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:00 PM

My laptop has Win7 64 Bit and I haven't had any issues installing a UI, and getting it to appear ingame correctly.

So, here's a question:
Where are you attempting to put the UI folder?

With a 'normal' launchpad install of the game, the path should look similar to this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Vanguard
(I don't install via the launchpad, so it might be slightly different for you.)

For a 'Steam' install of the game, the path IS this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\vanguard saga of heroes\

If neither of these are your install path, locate the folder Vanguard is installed to. If it installed to something like:
"C:\ProgramData\" with no space in the address, you're going to need to tell Station Launcher to move your install somewhere. When I first installed on my laptop using the launcher, thats where it put the game, and you are most likely not going to be able to use a UI mod. I wasn't able to.
If this is the case for you, don't worry, it won't attempt to reinstall the game completely. The launcher will move the whole folder to the new install directory.

Inside of the install directory is another folder called "VGUIAssets". Located inside of this folder, is yet another folder called "Shells".
Your UI mod should be inside of its own folder inside of the "Shells" folder.

Pretending you're attempting to install DroxUI - since you really haven't given us ANY information aside from your OS - your folder structure should be like so:

Code:
?\Vanguard Folder\VGUIAssets\Shells\droxui\
Nested inside of the droxui should be something along the lines of:
Code:
\G15\
\Layouts\
\Map\
\Textures\
\Windows\
\Index.xml
\SkinInfo.xml
If, for example, your structure looks like:
Code:
?\Vanguard Folder\droxui\droxui\
Then you have unzipped the mod incorrectly. Fix the nesting issue by moving all of the contents of the second droxui folder to the first one. If not, ignore this step.

The next step is to go to this folder:
Code:
?\Vanguard Folder\bin\
In this folder, locate a file called "VGClient.ini".
If you cannot see file extentions, change the folders view to "Details", and sort by type. It will show as VGClient, with "Configuration settings" shown in the 'Type' column.

Open this file in NotePad, and hit Ctrl F. Type in "[UI]" without the quotes.
There should be a line that starts with "ShellName=". If it is not already changed to reflect whatever UI mod you are using, change where it says "ShellName=Default" to the folder name of your UI - in my example, it would be "ShellName=droxui". Save.

If you can't save, copy the VGClient file to your desktop, edit it again there, then copy it back, letting it Move and Replace in the dialog menu.

Load the game, and see if the mod loads now.
If not, reply again and tell us what mod you are using, and where Vanguard is installed to.

Either way, hope this helps Not much of a poster - more of a lurker - but thought I would try and help.
Aliara - ** Cleric - Vanguard Telon (Active)
Old 10-30-2010, 02:14 PM

I went through your instructions step by step and no good. (I used InfoMapAdvanced+MiniCards+GearSwitcher, installed standalone)

I've tried installing a number of mods and have succeed at getting non of them to work whatsoever Including Droxui, Infomapadvanced + Minicards + Gear Switcher, and then the standalones of each of those. I'd honestly just like Infomap to work.

Install path is:
Quote:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Vanguard\VGUIAssets\Shells
I've given the entire Sony folder full admin rights.

I've double checked mod install locations and my vgclient.ini folder, everything seems to be in order. (No extra folders in the mod install path)

The only other thing I can think of that might be different from most computers is I run my Operating System in Test Mode...I can't see why that would effect mods working or not working though.

I have successfully installed VG mods before, I've recently rejoined the community on a new computer and for some reason they just dont want to work.

Last edited by ChuChuTrick : 10-30-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 PM

Have you tried running without Test Mode? Not sure what unsigned drivers you are using (which, as far as I know, is all Test Mode is for), but if its possible to run Win7 in its normal mode, you could try that. I can't really see that being the cause of the issue, but who knows.

Also, check your VGClient.log (in the bin folder) and see if its throwing any errors related to the UI. If its clean, you can check Event Viewer (click your start menu button, right click Computer, select 'Manage') - Vanguard occasionally tosses its errors in there. I have one from CoreUI3 there, look for a red icon with an exclamation point saying Error, referencing, most likely, VGClient.log. And example is:
Code:
[10/29/10 21:30:52] ERROR: XML Fatal Error:
...\VGUIAssets\Shells\CoreUI3\../Default/Windows\SettingsCustomWindows.xml [0:0] - An exception occurred!
If you have that, a possible fix is to copy everything in the Default shells folder and paste it into the UI folder that you're trying to use. Don't let it overwrite any actual files, just copy in folders/missing files. No guarantees though - that usually just gets rid of the error messages. It might help (though even I doubt it. Worth a shot.).
Aliara - ** Cleric - Vanguard Telon (Active)
Old 10-31-2010, 03:28 PM

Ran Windows 7 out of Test Mode, no cigar...Went through vgclient.log and my Event Viewer, no errors what so ever pertaining to the UI, The problem feels more like VG isn't even using the command line in the vgclient.ini to load my UI.