VGInterface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   VGInterface > Interface Downloads Discussion > Beta Interfaces

Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Tool to convert map images into xml

I somehow don't like the current maps used in Vanguard so i wanted to modify them a bit. And cause it seemed to be so much work to work with the little 512x512 tiles i wrote a little tool that allowed me to work on full map images and then automatically converts them into the tiles and generates the appropriate xml files.

Thought i'd share this tool, maybe it helps to encourage some skilled graphic modders to do nice maps Cause... well, see my puny attempt in attached image

How to use this tool?
Download it here, edit the three images in the "MapTemplate" folder, save them and run "run.bat". After this is done all the needed files are in the folder "JadrinMap". Copying the whole folder into the Vanguard UI folder allows using it as standalone mod. Or copy the files to your own mod folder.

Just noticed, to make this actually work you need to manually create a folder "Maps" in the "Map" folder. Otherwise you'll just get lots of exceptions ^^

Last edited by thorvang : 06-06-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 AM
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via ICQ to Soresha Send a message via AIM to Soresha Send a message via MSN to Soresha Send a message via Yahoo to Soresha

Very nice!

Now I've got an idea coming to me...

Thanks for this!

Soresha
Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via ICQ to Soresha Send a message via AIM to Soresha Send a message via MSN to Soresha Send a message via Yahoo to Soresha

Ok I made some maps, and I love your little tool.

I found the Thestra and Qalia maps worked perfectly, however the Kojan map didn't work at first. I changed the Kojan references from "C3" to "C4" in both the XML and the map filenames, and this got it working for me.

I also found the text label for the chunk on the minimap came up green, which is definitely not the default colour. I changed it to black, but I think it should actually be white by default?

I added an XML file for the MiniMap - you might want to include one of these in the zip file (along with that "Maps" directory).

And finally I changed the name of the map from "Jadrin" to "Info". This is just a case of substituting the name throughout the XML, but perhaps you could write something into the tool to allow the user to choose a custom name for their map?

If you download my InfoMap beta mod you can compare to your original and see the changes I made. (See this thread: http://vginterface.com/forums/showthread.html?t=1652).

Thanks again!

Soresha
Old 06-24-2007, 04:55 AM

To bad the download is broken (temporarily?).