VGInterface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   VGInterface > General Discussion > Interface Requests

Old 04-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Default Bag/inventory matrix change?

I wonder if it's possible to change the matrix of bags. All bags at the standard UI and with the small bag mod (happy it exists) have a width of 5 columns, no matter how many total slots. That means a 36 slot bag has 8 rows with 4 empty, not used slot spaces at the bottom.. being able to change the matrix to a width of 6 columns would reduce it to 6 rows and so an open bag would use less space on the screen.

With my basic knowledge about xml I've been looking into the according files, but didn't find anything about rows and columns.

Somehow possible or a total waste of time to think about?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:08 PM

I don't believe this is possible at the moment due to how Vanguard sends the bad info. I think this is one of the things we've always longed for.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 PM

I belive that what you want would involve having some math in the xml and unfortuanly math is not supported in the current xml allowed.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 AM

Ah, I see.. too bad.
But since I've read somewhere (or dreamed?) the devs are working on a interface revamp.. or that it is on the list at least.. there is still hope.

Thanks guys for the explanation.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irilonah
Ah, I see.. too bad.
But since I've read somewhere (or dreamed?) the devs are working on a interface revamp.. or that it is on the list at least.. there is still hope.

Thanks guys for the explanation.
Interesting. where did you read that? I've never heard any word from SOE that they had any plans to work on the UI. it would be very cool if they were looking in to the problems with the UI, and a full revamp would be even better... there are a lot of little problems, and it's terribly inefficient.

About your initial question though, after I read your post I went back and tried to do what you asked (again). I remember trying several times in the past, and every time I do it I get excited when I look at the code again because there is this one xml tag that really makes it look like you should be able to change the width of the bag. unfortunately changing the value of that tag does absolutely nothing, which leaves me remembering why I couldn't get it to work before and why I gave up. I am not at home and can't look at the code again, but bascially the tag says something that implies (to me) this: number_of_colums_per_row=5. changing that value to 6 or 8 won't affect any change though. and other than that one tag, I haven't seen anything else that looks like it would do what you're asking about.

so the short answer is that it still won't work, and many folks have tried it. the longer answer is that it's just another one of those things that are bugged or incomplete about the UI implementation in the client. I am curious though about your comment that making the bags wider would give you more usuable screen space, .... you'd have more vertically as the bag became shorter, but you'd loose the same amount of space horizontally as the bag became wider but if you're on a widescreen, you have mroe horizontal space to work with so perhaps that was your basic assumption
Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM

It was in the last dev chat:
Dev Chat - March 12th

There Gebron said: "Gebron: We have a growing list of UI polish features, and we are starting to hand them out. Expect that one to come SOON™.".. well, guess we all know what SOON means .. but they have it on the list at least.

Edit: not at home yet myself but looked at the XMLs.. there are some lines you probably meant:

<AttachUpdater type="ItemList"
gameVarLink="BankInventoryList"
inventoryList="true"
useMultiRow="true"
numPerMulti="5"
linkElements="true">

These are the same in the VGUIBank.xml, the VGUIBuildingInventory.xml and the VGGUIInventory.xml. Will play with these a bit and see if i can hard code it for my needs, without making it dynamically for all kind of bags.

Last edited by Irilonah : 04-17-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irilonah
<AttachUpdater type="ItemList"
gameVarLink="BankInventoryList"
inventoryList="true"
useMultiRow="true"
numPerMulti="5"
linkElements="true">
Yup, that's the section.

the gameVarLink is setting up that specfic window to display which bag.
the useMultirow is telling the client to spread the slots over multiple rows
and then the line I was refering to was
numPerMulti is the one that I hoped would let me change the width of the row, in number of slots per row. (since the bags all use 5 slots, maybe the ="5" part was a red herring).

but at any rate, there is nothing else that really defines the structure of the bag layout (as far as I can tell), so to-date, no one has been able to make it work. if you keep at it and find a way to do it, then you'll be well-renowned for figuring out how to do what no one else has, and you will rest forever in gamer heaven hehehehe
Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 AM

Hello all

just registered because I want to tell you that it's possible to make it working, as shown in these pictures:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...d0-17-32-5.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...0-17-34-48.jpg

The point is:
when you change numPerMulti you never said the underlying window to resize, and it wont, unless specified.
I have done 2 tests:

looking at xsd file it's clear that the main window can accept the resizeOnChildren variable, so:

1st test: i just changed sizable variable to "true" in "inventory" window.
2nd test: I tried to use resizeOnChildren="true" in "inventory" window leaving sizable="false".

I used in both cases numMulti="7". It works.

Of course, i didn't got deep to make changes for the coin control, but obviously, with some work, can be done.

The same thing can be applied for the Bank window but I don't know if it can be applied to other bags.

I think you have enough info to do more research now

I hope this helped you.

Edit: would be nice to have them automatically rearranging with resize, but seems you have to specify numPerMulti. I tried to remove it but, ofc, i got a single row. I think SOE just need to fix UseMultiRow to be as a "word wrap-like" feature.

Last edited by Gilgameesh : 04-18-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Wow Gil - awesome work. That has been stumping us for a long time now!

Most modders are using an "infobar" to hold the coin information, so you could remove the coin info from the inventory bag altogether. So now what we really need is individual settings for "extra" bags, inventory and saddlebags to truly make piece-meal "all-in-one" inventory windows.

Last edited by Aalwein : 04-18-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Attempting to recreate what you did, Gil, I'm finding that it only works for the inventory bag and not the extra bags nor the saddlebags. Did you get the sizable windows to work for all bags?